Kelly Hart has always prioritized the hiring of the best and brightest attorneys, regardless of age, ethnicity, gender, race, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, or disability. From the outset in 1979, the firm hired two women as associates, out of its first four hires. These two women were later elevated to equity partner status in 1987 and remain equity partners to this day.
The firm remains committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive workplace for all attorneys, professionals, and staff members. Kelly Hart recognizes the unique perspectives and life experiences that diverse individuals bring to the table, and believes that these qualities enhance the firm’s legal services and contributions to the community. The firm encourages its people to use their various backgrounds, experiences, and talents to serve clients to the best of their abilities.
Kelly Hart is dedicated to identifying and interviewing diverse candidates from all law schools at which it recruits. The firm’s Recruiting and Diversity Committees attend minority job fairs and other events to meet talented and diverse law students, judicial clerks, and lateral candidates. The firm’s recruitment and retention efforts also involve ongoing and active participation in law schools and minority association job fairs, including the Sunbelt Minority Job Fair in Dallas.
The firm understands that recruiting talented lawyers is only the first step. Kelly Hart is committed to developing, retaining, and promoting its attorneys, with a firm culture that values collegiality and mutual respect. To ensure the personal growth and professional success of its lawyers, the firm has created mentoring and professional development programs.
As evidence of our commitment to diversity, Kelly Hart has established a committee to coordinate and oversee the firm’s diversity efforts. The Diversity Committee members include:
- Cheryl P. Leb, Co-Chair
- Demarcus J. Gordon, Co-Chair
- Alan D. Hegi
- Monica Jacobs
- Scott R. Wiehle
- Shauna J. Wright
The firm also sponsors various minority and diversity related activities. Recent sponsored events include:
- Annual Texas Minority Counsel Programs
- Texas Wall Street Women Industry Panel
- National Diversity Council
- Multicultural Alliance Programs
- Fort Worth Hispanic Chamber
- University of Texas Center for Women in Law’s Power Summit on Law & Leadership
- Travis County Women Lawyers’ Association and Foundation Annual Grants and Awards Program
- Minority Corporate Counsel Association Regional Networking Forum
- Texas Minority Counsel Annual CLE Program
- Fort Worth Metropolitan Black Chamber Commerce
- Louisiana State Bar Association Diversity Conclave
- Texas Appleseed Diversity Legal Scholars Program
- Women’s Energy Network