Max Wright has an extensive trial practice in oil and gas related matters and is a respected attorney in the field of oil & gas litigation. Mr. Wright currently represents exploration and production companies and landowners in state and federal courts involving matters such as lease interpretation issues, including calculations pertaining to royalty and post-production charges, surface use disputes, downhole and oil country tubular problems, as well as other issues affecting land and mineral ownership. Mr. Wright also has considerable experience in medical litigation, primarily in the defense of physicians and hospitals in lawsuits and administrative and regulatory hearings, as well as experience in complex general commercial. Mr. Wright is board certified in Personal Injury Trial Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization. He is a member of DRI, the International Association of Defense Counsel, the American Board of Trial Advocates and the Texas Association of Defense Counsel.
Mr. Wright is a qualified mediator and serves as a skilled resource for litigants navigating through difficult civil disputes. He assists clients in resolving disputes, minimizing costly litigation and risk.
Mr. Wright received his undergraduate degree from Southern Methodist University, his Master of Arts from Sam Houston State University and his law degree from the University of Texas. He served as a law clerk to the Honorable Sarah T. Hughes, United States District Court for the Northern District of Texas and also served as a Texas Assistant Attorney General, Organized Crime Division.
Mr. Wright is a member of the State Bar of Texas, the State Bar of New Mexico, the Midland County Bar Association and the American Bar Association. Mr. Wright has served on the Pattern Jury Charge Committee and the Judicial Relations Committee for the State Bar of Texas and currently serves on the State Bar of Texas Lawyers Assistance Program Committee.
Affiliations and honors
- American Bar Association
- State Bar of Texas
- Texas Bar Foundation, Fellow
- Midland County Bar Association
- Midland County Bar Association, President, 1993-1994
- Texas Association of Defense Counsel, 1992-Present (Former, Board of Directors and Regional Vice-President)
- DRI, the International Association
- American Board of Trial Advocates
- Petroleum Museum, Board of Trustees
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America®, 2018-2021
- Texas Super Lawyer, Thomson Reuters, 2003-2004, 2011-2019
- The University of Texas School of Law, J.D.,1976
- Sam Houston State University, M.A., 1974
- Southern Methodist University, B.A., 1969
- State Bar of Texas, 1977
- State Bar of New Mexico, 2007
- U.S. Court of Appeals 5th Circuit, 1980
- U.S. District Court Western District of Texas, 1978
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Texas, 1977
- U.S. District Court of New Mexico, 2008
Speeches & Publications
- "An Ethical Challenge for Professionals in the Oil Patch," Permian Basin Water in Energy Conference, February, 2019
- "A Shot with Water - Alcoholism and Addiction in the Professions," Permian Basin Water in Energy Conference, February 20-23, 2018
- "Handling Evidence Pre-Trial," Texas State Bar Advanced Evidence and Discovery CLE course, San Antonio, TX, 2017
- "Handling Evidence Pre-Trial," Texas State Bar Advanced Evidence and Discovery CLE course, Houston, TX, 2017
- Co-presenter, "Developments in Oil & Gas Law," 40th Annual Page Keeton Civil Litigation Conference in Austin, 2016