Orest B. Dachniwsky
Prior to joining Kelly Hart, Orest served as Associate General Counsel in the Law Department of BNSF Railway Company. He was employed at BNSF and its predecessor companies for over 17 years and coordinated the company’s legal response to issues that arose in the areas of operations, regulatory compliance, safety, risk management, technology, telecommunication, and corporate procurement. Previously, Orest managed and coordinated BNSF’s legal efforts relating to environmental issues, which included occupational claims and tort litigation; complex commercial litigation; international business transactions; credit and collection matters; freight claims; bankruptcy issues; and negotiation and drafting of purchase and maintenance agreements for locomotives.
Before he worked at BNSF, Orest practiced in the litigation department at Oppenheimer, Wolff & Donnelly.
Orest earned his J.D., cum laude, from the University of Illinois College of Law and his B.B.A, summa cum laude, from Loyola University of Chicago. In 1999, he received his M.B.A. in Finance from Loyola University of Chicago, graduating first in his class.
- University of Illinois College of Law, J.D., cum laude, 1985
- Loyola University of Chicago, M.B.A. in Finance, 1999
- Class Rank: 1st
- Outstanding Graduate, 1999
- Loyola University of Chicago, B.A. in Marketing, summa cum laude, 1982
- State Bar of Texas, 1986
Speeches & Publications
- Author, Argentina: Irrevocability of Argentine Checks. February, 1985, International Banking and Finance Law Bulletin.
- Speaker, Application of Remedy Granting Provisions in Construction Contracts, Fall, 1987, Construction Education Management Corporation (Fall Seminar).
- Speaker, Customs and the Traveler, May 1988, Maricopa County Bar Association, Speaker's Bureau (Spring Lecture Series).
- Speaker, The Defense of Diesel Exhaust Exposure Cases, Summer 1993, Buckeye Work Products Seminar on Occupational Claims.
- Speaker, Defending Occupationally Related Respiratory Claims, Summer 1994, Buckeye Work Products Seminar on Occupational Claims.
- Co-Author, Liability for Injuries to Trespassers, Sec. 4 The Second Revised Railroad Litigator’s Notebook, National Association of Railroad Litigator’s Notebook, July 1995 - 2014(1st to 4th eds.),
- Speaker, Occupational Disease Issues Facing The Railroad Industry, Summer 1995, Buckeye Work Products Seminar on Occupational Claims.
- Speaker, Respiratory Toxic Exposure Claims, Summer 1996, Buckeye Work Products Seminar on Occupational Claims.
- Speaker, Defense of FELA Diesel Exhaust Claims, Summer 1997, Buckeye Work Products Seminar on Occupational Claims.
- Speaker, Update on Diesel Exhaust Regulatory Issues and How They Impact FELA Claims, Summer 1998, Buckeye Work Products Seminar on Occupational Claims.
- Co-Author, The Inconsistencies of SFAS No.5 and ABA Statement of Policy (Accounting for Litigation Contingencies), Journal of Finance and Accounting Research, Volume5, Number 4, Winter, 1998.
- Speaker, State and Federal Regulation of Grade Crossing Regulation, August 2014, International Symposium on Grade Crossing Safety.