Patrick (Rick) M. Shelby
Experience and highlights
- Represented a privately held oil and gas company in an asset purchase agreement dispute against a reorganized Fortune 500 company.
- Represented a major international exploration and production company in offshore royalty litigation against another major exploration and production company.
- Represented a privately held oil and gas company in Louisiana state court in connection with an insurance coverage matter that was ultimately resolved in a successful reorganization of that company.
- Represented a large financial client in oil and gas lease dispute and foreclosure proceeding in Louisiana state court.
- Represented a title insurer in lien subordination action and purchase agreement dispute.
- Represented an international construction supply company in federal court open account litigation.
- Represented high net worth individuals in loan rearrangements and guarantee litigation in both federal and state court.
Affiliations and honors
- American Bar Association
- Federal Bar Association
- Louisiana State Bar Association
- New Orleans Bar Association
- Turnaround Management Association
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America®, 2019
- Louisiana Super Lawyers Rising Star, Thomson Reuters, 2014-2018
- New Orleans CityBusiness Leadership in Law Award, 2015
- Top Lawyers in Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights/Insolvency and Reorganization Law, New Orleans magazine, 2013
- Pro Bono Century Award by the New Orleans Pro Bono Project, 2011
- Loyola University, J.D., summa cum laude, 2008
- Oregon State University, M.S., 1995
- Auburn University, B.C.E., cum laude, 1992
- State Bar of Louisiana, 2008
Speeches & Publications
- "A Trending Risk and Liability on the OCS: What Happens When a Party Can No Longer Pay to Play?Gordon Arata Oil & Gas Seminar, "Louisiana Issues," April 2014
- "Trending Risks and Liabilities on the OCS," The 61st Annual Institute on Mineral Law, April 2014
- “McGee v. A C & S, Inc: Loss of Enjoyment of Life as a Compensable Category of General Damages” (Loyola Law Review, Spring 2008)
- Field Evaluation of Passive Capillary Samplers for Estimating Groundwater Recharge, Water Resources Research Journal, 2000.
- Contributing author for LSU Law Center 15th - 19th Annual Bankruptcy Law Seminar