Sharon S. Millians
Sharon S. Millians represents clients in transactions in all areas of real estate ownership, real estate-based financing, and development of various real estate products, including office, hotel, resort, retail, ranch land, industrial and multi family uses. She also has represented various clients in the acquisition of millions of dollars of troubled asset portfolios consisting of real estate, loans, and other assets. Additionally Ms. Millians’ practice includes representation of clients in the acquisition of technology, as well as in commercial contract matters, including strategic alliances and licensing and technology agreements.
Ms. Millians has been a member of the firm's Executive Committee since 1998. She has been listed in the prestigious Woodward/White, Inc. list of “The Best Lawyers in America” since 1992 and has been recognized as a "Texas Super Lawyer" by Thomson Reuters since 2003. She has been recognized as one of the “Top 50 Women Texas Super Lawyers” and “Top 100 Super Lawyers” in the Dallas/Fort Worth region. The Fort Worth Business Press has designated her as a “Power Attorney.” She has also been recognized on the national level by being nominated and elected to the American College of Real Estate Lawyers, the premier national organization of distinguished real estate practitioners and scholars. She is a member of the State Bar of Texas, the American Bar Association, the Tarrant County Women’s Bar Association, and a Sustaining Life Fellow of the Texas Bar Foundation.
In addition to her professional career, Ms. Millians currently serves on the Board of Directors of the Women's Center of Tarrant County. She is Immediate Past Chair of the Fellows of the Texas Bar Foundation, which is the largest charitably funded bar foundation in the United States. She also is Past Chair of the Board of Directors of the Women’s Center of Tarrant County, Inc. She previously served on the Board of Directors of the Child Study Center and on the board of the Chiapas Project, a global microfinance initiative to support women in poverty.
Experience and highlights
- Represented a partnership that purchased the largest insolvent thrift in the U.S.
- Represented a real estate development company in selling a portfolio of eight retail-related properties located in Texas and Mississippi for approximately $160 million
- Assisted an investor group in acquiring approximately 140 acres of improved and unimproved property located near downtown Dallas
- Represented clients in the acquisition and disposition of various ranch properties throughout Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, and Colorado
- Represented clients in the purchase and development of a 450-acre site in Gaithersburg, MD, with a mix of product types: apartments, condominiums, townhouses and single-family homes
- Assisted clients in the development of a 900-acre project, including preparing the filings required under the Interstate Land Sales Full Disclosure Act and addressing other legal considerations in connection with the marketing and sale of lots in the development
- Negotiated the acquisition of a multi-million dollar office complex under construction in Irvine, California
- Represented clients in their purchase, financing, refinancing, and sale of the Plaza Hotel in New York City
- Represented clients in both the sales and purchases of office buildings and apartment complexes in the Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex.
- Represented an international company providing healthcare communication and educational materials and services, including the negotiation of various strategic alliances and licensing and technology agreements
Affiliations and honors
- Texas Bar Foundation, Past Chair, Sustaining Life Fellow
- Tarrant County Bar Foundation, Life Fellow
- The Women's Center of Tarrant County Foundation, Board Member
- The Women's Center of Tarrant County, Inc., Past Chair
- TCU Board of Visitors, AddRan College of Liberal Arts, 2014-Present
- Texas Wesleyan University, Board of Trustees, 2014-2017
Executive Committee, 2015-2017
Chair, Academic Affairs and Student Life, 2016-2017
- American College of Real Estate Lawyers, 2001-present
- Leadership Fort Worth, Class of 1992
- Forum Fort Worth
- Tarrant County Bar Association, Director
Professionalism Award, Tarrant County Bar Association Law Day, 2015
The Best Lawyers in America®, 1992-2018
"Outstanding Woman in the Workplace," Fort Worth Commission for Women, 2013
"Power Attorney," Fort Worth Business Press, 2010
"Top 50 Women Texas Super Lawyers," Texas Monthly, multi-year recognition
"Top 100 Super Lawyers," in the Dallas/Fort Worth region, Texas Monthly
"Texas Super Lawyer," Texas Monthly, 2003-2017
"Top Attorney," in Real Estate Law, 360 West Magazine, 2017
"Attorney of Excellence," Fort Worth Business Press, multi-year recognition
"Top Attorney," in Real Estate Law, Fort Worth, Texas magazine, 2001-2016
"Great Woman of Texas," Fort Worth Business Press, 2003
- Southern Methodist University Dedman School of Law, J.D.
Southwestern Law Journal, Leading Articles Editor
Phi Delta Phi
- Texas Christian University, M.A.
Fellowship, English Department
- Texas Christian University, B.A., summa cum laude
Alpha Lambda Delta
Phi Sigma Iota
- State Bar of Texas
Speeches & Publications
- Author and Lecturer, “Due Diligence in Pooled Loan Sales,” Real Estate in Capital Markets: The Refinancing of America, presented March 31, 1995 to the American College of Real Estate Lawyers, San Diego, California
- Author, “Standing to Sue Under Section 812 of the Fair Housing Act: Gladstone, Realtors v. Village of Bellwood,” 33 Southwestern Law Journal 917, 1979
- Co-Author, “Regulation of Land Sales Marketing – A Practical Approach,” Advanced Real Estate Short Course and ABA Annual Meeting, 1997
- Co-Author and Lecturer, “Negotiating an RTC Purchase and Sales Agreement,” Real Estate in Capital Markets: the Refinancing of America, presented March 31, 1995 to the American College of Real Estate Lawyers, San Diego, California
- Co-Author, “A Compliance Guide to Land Sales Marketing Regulation, Section of Real Property, Probate and Trust Law,” American Bar Association (with forms), 1992
- Co-Author, “Helping a Lender Develop an Environmental Risk Program,” The Practical Real Estate Lawyer, Vol. 8, No. 4, July, 1992
- Co-Author, “Marketing of Real Estate in Texas (State and Federal Considerations),” State Bar of Texas Advanced Real Estate Course, 1984
- Co-Author, “Title and Survey Examination,” State Bar of Texas Institute, 1983
- Contributing Author, Texas Environmental Law, “Environmental Compliance and Risk Reduction Programs,” Texas Practice, Vol. 46, Chapter 24, 1-20, 1997