Aimee W. Hebert
Having clerked for the Honorable W. Eugene Davis, United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit, Ms. Hebert also handles appeals for clients in other industries. As appellate counsel, she handles cases that have been tried by the firm but also provides a fresh review for cases tried by other law firms.
Experience and highlights
- Represented clients in dozens of matters involving aspects of energy law
- Trial counsel in a two week jury trial in which clients claimed the right to an assignment of overriding royalties, resulting in a full recovery for the clients
- Trial counsel for defendant in trial of claim for breach of the implied obligation to protect from drainage, resulting in no recovery for plaintiff
- Trial counsel in trial to declare property boundary, resulting in favorable decision for clients
- Member of the appellate team involved in securing United States Fifth Circuit decision that pre-suit demand is required in royalty class action
- Appellate counsel for clients in the seminal case involving the constitutionality of Louisiana Act 312 of 2006
- Secured numerous dismissals of claims against clients through preliminary motion practice
- Represented clients in matters before the Louisiana Mineral Board, Louisiana Department of Natural Resources, and other regulatory agencies
- Represented clients in numerous mediations involving oil and gas issues such as interpretation of contracts, property boundaries, and insurance coverage, resulting in favorable settlements for clients
- Represented clients in meetings with the Louisiana Mineral Board
- Jarreau v. South Lafourche Levee District, 217 So. 3d 298 (La. 3/31/17).
- Yates v. Marston, 121 So. 3d 673 (La.App. 2 Cir. 5/22/13).
- Hoover Tree Farm, L.L.C. v. Goodrich Petroleum Co., L.L.C., 163 So. 3d 159 (La.App. 2 Cir. 3/23/11).
- Indigo Mineral v. Pardee Minerals LLC, 37 So. 3d 1122 (La. App. 2d Cir. 5/28/10).
- Meaux v. Hilcorp Energy Co., 26 So. 3d 875 (La. App. 3d Cir. 12/9/09).
- M.J. Farms v. Exxon Mobil Corp., 998 So. 2d 161 (La. 7/1/08).
- CLK Company LLC v. CXY Energy, Inc., 972 So. 2d 1280 (La. App. 3d Cir. 12/19/07).
- Chevron U.S.A. Inc. v. Vermilion Parish School Board, 337 F. 3d 459 (5th Ciir. 2004).
- Petro-Hunt L.L.C. v. United States, 365 F. 3d 385 (5th Cir. 2004).
Affiliations and honors
- Tulane Law School, Adjunct Assistant Professor in Law
- Louisiana State Law Institute, Mineral Law Committee
- Louisiana Mineral Law Institute, Advisory Council
- Louisiana Oil and Gas Association, Member and former Board Member
- Institute for Energy Law, Advisory Board Member
- Women’s Energy Network, Member
- AV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America®, 2016-2018
- Louisiana Super Lawyer, Thomson Reuters, 2015-2018
- New Orleans Magazine Top Lawyers in Oil and Gas Law, 2013-2017
- New Orleans CityBusiness Leaders in Law recipient, 2016
- New Orleans CityBusiness Women of the Year recipient, 2015
- Chambers USA, up-and-comer in the area of Energy and Natural Resources Law, 2012-2013
- Louisiana State University, Paul M. Hebert Law Center, J.D., 1998
- Louisiana State University, B.G.S., 1995
- State Bar of Louisiana, 1998
- United States Supreme Court
- United States Court of Appeal for the 5th Circuit
- United States District Court, Middle District of Louisiana
- United States District Court, Eastern District of Louisiana
- United States District Court, Western District of Louisiana
- United States District Court, Southern District of Texas
Speeches & Publications
- "From North to South: A Comparison of Key Oil and Gas Issues in Appalachia and Texas/Louisiana," Institute for Energy Law, Energy Litigation Conference, Featured Speaker, 2017
- The Operator’s Duty to Market on Behalf of Lessors and Non-Operators, 62nd Annual Institute of the Rocky Mountain Mineral Law Foundation, 2016
- Preemption of Local Government Regulation of Fracking, Summit on Environmental Law & Policy, 2015
- Classifications and Consequences, Chapter 7, Oil and Gas Leases Louisiana Mineral Law Treatise, 2012
- PLANO Executive Night Seminar, Moderator, 2010, 2011
- Participation Agreements and Joint Operating Agreements, PLANO Executive Night Seminar, 2009
- Restrictions on Assignment (Consent to Assign, Preferential Right to Purchase and Maintenance of Uniform Interest Provisions), 49th Annual Institute on Mineral Law, 2007
- A Review of Selected Lease Clauses, 54th Annual Institute on Mineral Law, 2002
- Class Actions in Oil and Gas Litigation, LAPL Spring Seminar, 1999