Preston R. Mundt
Mr. Mundt's representation is vast and varied, including lead trial counsel defending a commercial developer in a suit alleging the developer caused more than $13,000,000 in construction defects. He obtained a complete dismissal of all claims. Mr. Mundt has also successfully represented property owners and managers in a variety of premises liability and other personal injury claims. Additionally, he has represented oil & gas operators in death and injury litigation, a Fort Worth manufacturing company in suits alleging fraud and theft, a Fort Worth construction company in a variety of suits and claims, and various individuals and corporations in claims for breach of contract, defamation breach of fiduciary duty, tortious interference, fraudulent transfer, civil conspiracy, and others. Mr. Mundt has also handled a number of railroad-related disputes, including rate disputes, injury and property damage claims, and insurance coverage issues. Since 2010, he has successfully prosecuted over 35 separate actions filed under Texas Rule of Civil Procedure 202, and defended a number of others.
Mr. Mundt earned his J.D., summa cum laude, from Texas Tech University School of Law in 2008. For the past six consecutive years, he has been named a Texas Super Lawyer Rising Star in the area of Commercial Litigation by Thomson Reuters. Additionally, for the past six consecutive years, Mr. Mundt was recognized as a Top Attorney in commercial litigation by Fort Worth, Texas magazine. He is a Fellow of the Texas Bar Foundation, Member of the National Association of Railroad Trial Counsel, Member of the Eldon B. Mahon Inn of Court, and Member of the Tarrant County Bar Association and the Tarrant County Young Lawyers Association. He is licensed to practice law in Texas and New Mexico and is also a licensed Texas Realtor.
Experience and highlights
- Trial counsel for Bass/Exxon against an oil & gas operator. Obtained a $14.2 million dollar arbitration award in connection with a dispute over joint interest billings
- Lead counsel representing south Texas ranch owner in suit where the plaintiff collided with ranch owner’s escaped cow, alleging damages in excess of $2,000,000. Obtained complete dismissal of all claims through summary judgment.
- Represented oil and gas operators in Texas and New Mexico defending claims of death and serious injury
- Lead trial counsel defending commercial developer in suit alleging developer caused more than $13,000,000 in construction defects. Obtained complete dismissal of all claims.
Lead trial and appellate counsel defending a Fort Worth developer in a lawsuit alleging that the Plaintiff obtained substantial injuries while on client’s property. Obtained dismissal from the trial court through summary judgment. The case was affirmed by the Fort Worth Court of Appeals.
Lead counsel representing oil & gas operator in various litigation throughout Texas and New Mexico
Lead trial counsel successfully prosecuting over 30 separate actions filed under Texas Rule of Civil Procedure 202 from 2010 – present
Trial counsel representing a local automobile sales executive in a dispute with his former employer and business partner. Obtained a multi-million dollar jury verdict after an eight-week jury trial.
Lead trial counsel to a Fort Worth manufacturing company in suit alleging breach of contract, fraud, and negligent misrepresentation. Obtained significant favorable settlement.
Co-lead trial counsel in dispute over breach of a contract. Obtained favorable jury verdict and award of attorneys’ fees.
Lead trial counsel in dispute over failed production of a motion picture. Obtained significant favorable multi-party settlement.
Lead trial counsel to a Fort Worth manufacturing company in a suit alleging fraud and theft against a vendor of the company. Obtained significant favorable multi-party settlement.
Lead trial counsel to Fort Worth construction company in lawsuits alleging breach of contract. Obtained multiple favorable settlements.
Lead counsel successfully representing National Bank in multiple proceedings
Lead counsel representing local car dealership in multiple trial and appellate matters
Represented oil & gas company in personal injury lawsuits through Texas and New Mexico
Represented individual in complex dispute over division of father’s estate. Obtained significant favorable settlement.
Represented individuals in suit alleging claims against clients for breach of fiduciary duty, tortious interference, fraudulent transfer, and civil conspiracy. Obtained complete dismissal from the trial court. The dismissal was affirmed by the Dallas Court of Appeals.
Affiliations and honors
- Texas Bar Foundation, Fellow
- Tarrant County Bar Association
- Tarrant County Young Lawyers Association
- Eldon B. Mahon Inn of Court
- National Association of Railroad Trial Counsel, Member
- A Wish With Wings, Board of Directors, 2011-2014
- Top Attorney in Product Liability Law, 360 West magazine, 2019
- Top Attorney in Civil Law/Litigation and Family Law, 360 West magazine, 2018
- Texas Super Lawyers Rising Star, Thomson Reuters, 2012-2018
- 40 Under 40 honoree, Fort Worth Business Press, 2018
- Top Attorney, Fort Worth, Texas magazine, 2011-2018
- Top Attorney in Commercial Litigation and Personal Injury Law, 360 West magazine, 2017
- Texas Tech University School of Law, J.D., summa cum laude, 2008
- Texas Tech Law Review, Comment Editor, Volume 40; Staff Member, Volume 39
- Order of the Coif
- Phi Kappa Phi
- Texas Christian University, B.B.A, cum laude, 2005
- State Bar of Texas, 2008
- State Bar of New Mexico, 2016
- U.S. Court of Appeals, District of Columbia Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Texas, 2009
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Texas, 2012
- U.S. District Court, District of Colorado, 2012
Speeches & Publications
- Author, "The Assignor Giveth and The Operator Taketh Away: Oil and Gas Working Interest Owners Beware of Continuing Liability," Texas Tech Law Review, Winter 2008